Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Annoying Boys of the Week: Ying-Yang Twins


I know; it's old news: the Ying-Yang twins have crazy offensive lyrics. But, I just can't put this one behind me. Perhaps because I just saw them on the VMAs, I felt compelled to go to their website . I was shocked to discover that the copy on said site basically gloats about their explicitly misogynist lyrics. Because it's funny, y'know. Like, funny ha ha. Because implied rape and violence is just sooo hilarious.

Here are some of the lyrics to the "whisper" song:

You fine, but I aint gone sweat ya
See I wanna fuck, tell me whats up
Walk around the club with yo thumb in ya mouth
Put my dick in, take your thumb out
There might be a lil kosher to deal with
Wet fat hoe's they dont spill shit
I keep a hoe hot when I'm puttin' in work
Wanna skeet skeet you bout to get your feelin's hurt
Cuz I'll beat dat cat with a dog
And knock da walls of a broad til she scrawl
Like (OOOOOH!)
Yea something like that, but it depends on the swing of the baseball bat
Fuck a bitch on da counter make the
Plates fall Back
On the floor she aint screamin she a nut so they crack
Crack...crack
Fuck that bend over imma give you a smack

Ay bitch! wait til you see my dick
Wait til you see my dick
Ay bitch! wait til you see my dick
Imma beat dat pussy up
Ay bitch! wait til you see my dick
Wait you see my dick
Ay bitch! wait til you see my dick
Imma beat dat pussy up

Like B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM, B-AM

Beat da pussy up, Beat da pussy up, Beat da pussy up, Beat da pussy up, Beat da pussy up, Beat da pussy up, Beat da pussy
Up, Beat da pussy up

Gross, huh? Oh, and here's some more from their song "Naggin'"

A lil more grip a lil less lip
before I pack my bag on you girl and dip
and a point of no return and you made it that way
buy the stuff that you say in and out everyday
hope you paying attention cause i got to mention
dissin me in front of your friends
trying to get a lil laugh in your crack in
I want to beat the **** in
hide behind your fake lil grin with your fake lil friend
use to then fake lil men
really ain'’t no man but you like how he pretend
I'm going to keeping sipping my Hen and smoking my herbs
and I'’m going to need a lot of grill cause of your nagging girl
the way you talking absurd
getting on my nerves
all in my ear about to make me hit the curve



Ugh! I'm so sick of this mainstream misogyny. Sick! When I asked my students what they like to read, almost all of the boys were like, "Maxim, he he." Of course all I did was raise my eyebrows and say "Maxim has words?" And because I'm so easily seduced by the slick production of most MTV offerings, I've found myself totally fascinated by Laguna Beach. What a weird little world. Anyway, like last season, the major story this time around involves a love-triangle. Of course it's two girls and one boy. And of course "the drama" in both triangles depend on making one of the girls seem either pathetic (first season's LC) or crazy psycho-naggy (this season's Jessica). And these boys are just so offensive and smug and ridiculous. Why? Why! Why? Why won't these boys go away?


5 comments:

mzn said...

That's just awful. Annoying and then some. You might need a new category, like despicable boy of the week. Was this song performed on television? If so, what did MTV do about the copious nasty bits? (And do you understand the "kosher" usage? That one' new to me.)

femme feral said...

The thing is, even though I'm not a huge fan of the ying-yang twins sound, I can totally see how the music would be appealing; the beats are pretty good and their whole vocal style is totally distinctive. My guess is that many of the kids who listen to the music don't pay too much attention to the lyrics . . .initially. But that whisper song was on the radio all the time last spring . . .And that's the thing -- much of this "mainstream misogyny" is wrapped up in a pretty bow; it's not wearing a sign that says "I hate women" -- it's wrapped in all these layers of slick beats and slick production and made . . .palatable. That's the thing that disturbs me about Laguna Beach (I have to post on this extensively at some point) . . . but beyond the totally obvious fed-up class stuff, there's all this disturbing gender stuff -- but it isn't initially obvious because it's embedded in all these layers and layers of pretty shots of the ocean and surfers and waving palm trees against mediocre rock music. It makes me think of the way we used to wrap our dog's heartworm pill in cheese or peanut butter so she'd swallow it.

porkmuffin said...

i was also glued to the tv for a couple of episodes of LB. it made me so ill--the priorities of the people (teens) on that show are seriously fucked. i'm not saying i was some sort of genius when i was a senior in high school, but i remember having conversations about the world beyond my prom and what boy i wanted to get with. also the class issues on that show are freaky. the class gap is widening! have you seen that show on MTV called "my sweet 16" or something like that? it glorifies being a rich, image obsessed, eating disordered, classist, party animal pig. sadly Paris Hilton is a woman that young girls look up to. Paris Hilton who has the vocabulary of a nine year old, an unobtainable amount of money (unless you are an heir) and let us not forget: Paris Hilton who vaulted to fame based upon a sex tape she made with somebody else's husband. the women we looked up to in my generation were Madonna (who let's face it has had some sketchy moments, but who generally stood for strong females in the board room and bedroom) and for me personally: Joan Jett and the women in/making (the original) Sassy magazine. it's so very sad to me that the women above have been replaced by Paris Hilton and Jessica/Ashlee Simpson. and not just because i hate the music they make (which i do) but because they project an image of being anti-intelligent. not just unintelligent, they seem to be AGAINST intelligence.

Anonymous said...

My favorite part is when they refer to their equipment as a "lil kosher," sorry, but comparing your dick to a pickle is SO LAME.

I first heard the whisper song on the "urban" station when we were down for your wedding. I immediately hated it. It's probably in part because I hate the way whispering sounds, but I hate those stupid boys.

I recently watched an episode of "My Sweet Sixteen" or whatever that show is called and was HO RRI FIED!! The dad spending 230,000 on his little girl's party so she could have Ciara play a show? Pathetic. Especially since that crotch shot of Ciara showed up on pink is the new blog, ha ha ha! But really, the lengths?? I just think about freaking, like, Sierra Leone kids' reactions, and feel all pukified.

Rell said...

the sooner the ying-yang twins get shot, the better off the world will be.